Monday, September 12, 2011

Real Life

Things I want from life:
  1. A house that has picture windows and a music room with a white baby grand piano.
  2. A steady job as a novelist.
  3. A movie made after my insane and awesomely popular manuscript.
  4. An Oscar for said movie.
  5. Zac Efron.
  6. A stately German Shepard that listens to me and lounges by my feet and jogs with me.
  7. The new Star Wars special edition xBox 360.
  8. A 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse.
  9. Time to do everything I want.
  10. To be that cool mother on the block who always has the best food and things to do.
Things I got from life:
  1. A tiny apartment in Manhattan and Pennsylvania with room for a half keyboard and that's it.
  2. A hectic job as a blogger and anything else I can get my hands on.
  3. Three unfinished manuscripts, two of which are currently MIA and one is sort of DOA.
  4.  Rejections from several magazines.
  5. Boba Fett. (Who has since left the building.  Oh wait, that's Elvis.  I meant fell into the Sarlacc pit and was promptly digested.)
  6. Four obnoxious miniature poodles who think they own everything, including me and my lap.
  7. An ancient Playstation 2 and a refurbished, third-hand Nintendo DS that makes ominous clicking noises when I use it.
  8. No car. I walk everywhere.  And by everywhere I mean up hills.  Steep hills. And stairs.  So many stairs.
  9. Time to do exactly half of what I should be doing and still not getting anything done.
  10. No children at the moment and no block either for that matter.
Would I change any of it?  Nope, not at all.  I'm happy where I am at this point in my life. (:

13 comments:

  1. List one will get bigger and list two will get shorter! You have a plan and that's a great start to getting where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Your Zac Efron remark made me chuckle for three minutes. Girl, you know how to pick 'em! Zac's a stud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, List One sounds lovely, but List Two sounds sooo much more interesting - especially for a writer! If you had all of List One you'd be a lot duller, but maybe just getting a few more things from it over time would help :-)
    Jane Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have two lists, also. (Sometimes three.) And I'm happy with my life, too. Except for my computer, which vexes me on a minute-to-minute basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone!

    alexia: Thanks! Sometimes I think my plan is about to blow up in my face, but hopefully I can see it through!

    Emily: Zac Efron is shamelessly hot. If I ever get a movie deal out of a manuscript, I am going to insist that he try out for a roll, just so I have the chance to visually molest him.

    Jane: True! Life would be very dull if I had all that. I get to cull a lot of writing from my experiences in real life.

    Jenny: Same thing here. My computer actually died last night, which left me in a rather nice lurch as I'm hosting a blog tour tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the same dreams as you on list No. 1 and can totally relate to list No. 2, but what I love best, Marlena, is that you're so cool about who and where you are with your life plus you have dreams about all your tomorrows. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I sure hope your computer gets to feeling better soon. What incredible timing inanimate objects have ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marlena,

    If you make the first list...can I share No 5 with you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!

    One of my favorite podcasts did an episode on self publishing - perhaps it would be worth a listen?

    http://creativecommoners.net/?p=452

    Best,

    Lev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all! (:

    Michelle: Aw, thank you! I try to be optimistic because without that, life stops being fun. And the computer...I don't even know what to think of that.

    Alex: Oh, but it will happen.

    Nas: You may have him every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. (;

    Lev: Thanks for the heads up! I'm totally going to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The state of your mss made me laugh and those dogs, they seem to be everywhere. Everything in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Part of the reason the manuscripts are DOA and MIA is because of those silly dogs. They tend to walk on my computer when I try to write.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by!