Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Author Interview with Christina Hollis

Today we have the lovely and awesome Christina Hollis here to talk about her latest release, Weight of the Crown!  I'm sure you'll all enjoy this interview (I know I did!) and Weight of the Crown, which I personally cannot wait to pick up and consume.  Let's get started, shall we? 



What inspired you to write this novel?
 
I love a man with principles.  Lysander, hero of Weight of the Crown has been forced by circumstances to abandon his louche lifestyle to become regent of the kingdom of Rosara.  He doesn’t want to do it, but loyalty to his late brother means he’s going to give the job his best shot. After that, it was a case of finding a heroine capable of keeping Lysander on the straight and narrow when he suffers the occasional wobble in his resolve. Finally, I was intrigued by the idea of creating a fictional country. Rosara includes bits of all my favourite real-life countries: beautiful weather, stunning scenery and lovely people.

Do you use the same writing process for each novel you've written or does it change from work to work?

I use pretty much the same system for every novel I write. Weight of the Crown began with my idea of a gorgeous hero, Lysander, and his internal struggle. This is the conflict between his playboy character, and his embedded loyalty to his family and country. Then Lysander needed a heroine who’s as strong willed as he is to bring out both the best and the worst in him. Alyssa has a tragic past which she tries to forget by immersing herself in her work as nanny to the boy king of Rosara. From there, I worked up their characters and backstory before producing a detailed outline, which became the basis of a three page synopsis.  After that it’s a case of refining my original thoughts, and working hard until Weight of the Crown was complete.

Is being a well-published author different from what you had expected when you had first started out?

Definitely - I thought I’d have the luxury of spending my whole time writing. Actually there’s a lot of behind the scenes work to be done before I can start each morning: business correspondence, emails and social networking now have their place alongside housework and family life. I really love Twitter, where I tweet as @christinabooks but Facebook’s still a bit of a mystery to me so I’m feeling my way there. However it’s done, I really love keeping in touch with readers but I have to be careful, or I’m left with no time to write!

Promotion is essential for all authors in building a fan-base and reaching new readers.  How do you promote yourself and your work, and what would you recommend to other authors?

I think a website is essential, closely followed by a blog. As a reader, I love these little insights into the lives of other authors - what they have to say about themselves and their work.  As a writer, My Website and Blog  showcase my work and, more importantly as far as I’m concerned, they are great ways in which I can communicate with readers.

Here's a fun question to wrap it up: If your hero could honeymoon anywhere, where would that be?

Lysander would definitely go somewhere nobody knew his name: where he could kick back and relax without having to sort out everyone’s problems. A tropical island would be perfect. Azure sea, clear blue sky, waving palm trees and miles of deserted beach with Alyssa by his side would be his idea of heaven.

Thanks for this chance to chat, Marlena!
Thank you, Christine, for stopping by!  Best of luck with Weight of the Crown
Where can readers find you on the web?
Website             Twitter        Facebook        Blog     Tumbler

Author Page created by Romance Book Paradise Promotions.

Book Blurb

Now duty is his only mistress.

For notorious playboy Prince Lysander Kahani, playtime is over…Left with a country to run, he draws the line at playing nanny to his orphaned nephew!

Instead he sends for a professional. But one glance at buttoned-up Alyssa Dene and Lysander’s wicked side re-emerges! Wary of his scandalous reputation, Alyssa tries to keep her distance – but Lysander draws her like a moth to a flame.

Lysander is fighting a battle between public duty and private desire, but he is determined to make Alyssa a royal offer she won’t refuse…


Available here!

Amazon

Amazon UK

Mills & Boon

42 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by, Christina! I hope you have fun here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cover Christina. He certainly looks like he hands his hands full with Alyssa! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marlena, Hello Christina!

    This looks like a fabulous launch party for WEIGHT OF THE CROWN!

    Congratulations on the release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview!

    It was interesting to read about your writing process. It sounds like you did a lot of research and planning before writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christina! Great to "meet" you :)

    I have just received the book today and I'm like..really loving the crown jewels :)

    Great questions, Marlena!

    I always like to hear the story behind the scenes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! It was good to get to know Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview, ladies. Writing is so much more than just putting a book out there and time management is obviously key.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope you have more author interviews like this one, Marlena; it rocks! Christina, you made me feel much better about the fact that I haven't mastered Facebook yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's before dawn here in the UK and waking up to find all these lovely comments has given me a real boost. I'm glad you like the sound of Weight of the Crown, Nadia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Helen - thanks for your comment. I love these new-style covers, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your congratulations, Nas, and for all your hard work in setting up my blog tour. I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Golden Eagle - and can I say how great it is to meet another TP fan? I've just voted in your poll.
    I like to get everything planned out before I actually sit down to write, as I can't bear to be faced with a blank computer screen and no ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Ju, I can't wait to appear on your blog on 19th September!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Emily, thanks for commenting - I love those photos on your current blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joy, thanks for commenting - time management is something I have to work at really hard. A kitchen timer/alarm lives beside my work station so I can keep track. Deadlines won't wait - especially the one involving my son and ten tons of school bags waiting to be picked up from the coach stop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Michelle, thanks for commenting. I think Facebook is a great idea but somehow Twitter feels more intimate - which is odd, when both systems have the capacity to communicate with the whole Internet universe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant interview Christina !! And the cover ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so gogeous !!!!

    Thanks for sharing this with us and thanks for the chance to win!

    All the best
    Desere

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Desere, I'm glad you like the cover. Isn't Lysander gorgeous?;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! thanks to the both of your for indroducing us to Christina, her book and a little of her writing process! Glad to have discovered your blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Katie,
    Thanks for commenting. Marlena and Nas make a great combination, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous is not the word yummylicious stunning all kinds of hotness !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Desere - haha, I wonder if he's the same chap pictured on the front of my first ever book, The Italian Billionaire's Virgin. That guy was seen only in half-profile and from the back, and in that pose he looked exactly like my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi :) Great interview (as always), and I, too, love the cover

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kerrie, thanks for commenting. I see you've contributed to one of the Chicken Soup books - wow, Jack Canfield's been a great inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for commenting, Kelley. Being interviewed by Marlena was a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LoL Christina I was actually thinking the same thing the guy does look familiar !

    Desere

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview. All the best with your blog tour Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Marlena, thanks for the interview with Christina. Christina, good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Theresa, Marlena's blog is a really warm and welcoming place. Wishing you continued good luck with your short stories!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on the release! And what a fabulous cover :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Xandra - thanks! I hope your WIP is still going well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey I wanted to talk to you about an idea I have.. can you send me an email??

    lev.lazinskiy @ gmail dot com

    (sorry for the long form..bad spam experience.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great interview! Sounds like a cool book :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Alexia, thanks for commenting. I hope you enjoy 'Weight of the Crown'!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great interview, ladies! I always love hearing more about other writers' processes. And the cover of Christina's novel looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks, Talli - I loved the Willow Watts launch, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's 19th September now, so I'm off to http://bit.ly/pXAJGf on the next leg of my blog tour. I hope to see you all there - thank you to everyone who has dropped by to read my 'Words behind the Writer', especially to those who have posted comments. And special thanks again to Marlena for hosting me, and to Nas for making it all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you, Marlena and all our lovely friends for visiting here!

    Remember Christina Hollis is out on a tour celebrating the release of her WEIGHT OF THE CROWN, and next stop is htt://judimello.blogspot.com/ Everyone's welcome to drop in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by!